The Libyan Army forces under the Government of National Accord have targeted with precise airstrike ammunition supplies and military equipment for Khalifa Haftar's forces in Jandouba between Gharyan and Al-Asabea. The Libyan Army's Volcano of Rage Operation said Tuesday on Facebook that the Air Force targeted those supplies which were aimed to boost the military offensive of Haftar's forces. In the meantime, a military source from the operation said the airstrikes came after information had been gathered about the incoming of supplies to Gharyan from Al-Jufra, thus the convoy was air-raided before being received by Haftar's forces. The Libya Observer couldn't verify such information, despite Volcano of Rage sources saying they had destroyed it today in the airstrikes. Meanwhile, sources from Gharyan said the Libyan Air Force also targeted Thamina Camp in Gharyan on Tuesday evening, hitting more vehicles and ammunition for Haftar's forces.
June 18, 2019 19:52 UTC
The Libyan Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha has ordered the resumption of security and training cooperation in mutual agreements with France. Bashagha sent Tuesday a letter to the Head of Cooperation and Contact Administration of the Interior Ministry asking him to put the resumption to effect. Libya's Interior Ministry media office said at the time that the meeting had discussed security conditions and anti-terrorism cooperation as well as the organized crime, money laundry, corruption, and other issues, renewing readiness to sign MoUs with France in security fields. Last April, Bashagha ordered a halt of security cooperation with France over accusations that France backed up the launching of Tripoli offensive of Khalifa Haftar. At the time, France denied the accusations and reiterated support for the Presidential Council's government and for a ceasefire.
June 18, 2019 19:18 UTC
The municipality of Souq Al-Jumua in Tripoli has blamed the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) for the deterioration of power crisis and the long outages in the last week. In a statement on Monday, the municipality urged the Presidential Council to take the necessary measures to solve this crisis and review the spending on power sector knowing that no positive results had been achieved. The Presidential Council should cease listening only to GECOL's complaints which are limitless. It added that despite GECOL's announcement of repairing power generation units, Libyans have not seen yet any improvement in power supplies. "All government companies have one thing in common: their failure that is usually blamed on crises in order to manage to remain in authority."
June 18, 2019 18:56 UTC
Undersecretary of the Ministry of Health, Mohamed Haitham called on the Italian government to grant the visa to wounded Libyans upon their arrival to Italy and to exempt them from the normal procedures. Haitham discussed with Italian Ambassador to Libya, Giuseppe Buccino, in a meeting attended by Foreign Minister Mohamed Sayala; air access for Libyan air ambulances to transport the wounded. Earlier, Sayala had discussed with the Italian ambassador facilitating the treatment of the war-wounded, in the Italian hospitals.
June 18, 2019 10:07 UTC
Italy toughens grip on disembarking migrants coming via Libya’s shores on its islandsItaly toughens grip on disembarking migrants coming via Libya’s shores on its islandsItaly has been urged on Monday to reverse a decision to turn away a rescue vessel that picked up 53 migrants fleeing north Africa across the Mediterranean as concern grew over the fate of those onboard. However he warned the rest should be returned to Libyan territorial waters and off-loaded in Tripoli. The vessel rescued 53 migrants drifting in an inflatable raft off the coast of Libya last week. The 18-article decree would bring fines on the captain, owner and operator of a vessel “entering Italian territorial waters without authorisation”. Mr Salvini has seen his popularity soar in the last year after taking a hard line against migrants, including forced returns to Libya.
June 18, 2019 08:48 UTC
The Centre for Food and Drug Control said Monday, that the results of the samples of watermelon, referred by the Agricultural and Animal Affairs Office in Sirte, showed that they conform to the approved specifications. In a letter addressed to the director of the Agricultural and Animal Affairs in Sirte, the centre said that these results have been reached according to the laboratory potentials, calling for the referral of the infected cases, in order to determine the source of the infection. Several social media accounts have reported the infection of watermelons coming from Sirte with serious chemical contamination.
June 18, 2019 08:26 UTC
The Ministry of Interior revealed Monday 20 new Toyota FJ Cruiser police vehicles, after finalizing the fit-out work required on them. "The new police vehicles were distributed to Tripoli Security Directorate, the Traffic and Licensing Administration, and Misurata Security Directorate," the ministry clarified on Facebook. The step comes within the ministry's efforts to modernize police departments. Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha had previously stressed the need to provide the security services with all the resources that will enable them to fulfil their duty.
June 18, 2019 08:15 UTC
The National Oil Corporation (NOC) expected a decline in the Jalu oilfield production to 130,000 barrels per day, for at least ten days, due to maintenance work in the field. The NOC explained in a statement Thursday, that the engineers and technicians of the Waha Oil Company are conducting maintenance work on the 30-inch crude oil pipeline between Jalu and Waha oilfields, by replacing 18 kilometers of the pipeline, which extends a distance of 152 kilometres.
June 18, 2019 07:52 UTC
Vice Chairman of the Presidential Council (PC), Ahmed Maiteeq, held separate meetings with the Chief of the Libyan Army, Mohammed Sharif and the Commander of the Central Military Zone, Mohammed Al-Haddad, on Monday to review the developments in the battlefronts, and the conduct of military operations in the field. Both army commanders confirmed that the military operations are progressing according to plan and that the army and back-up forces are advancing in all battle axes.
June 18, 2019 07:52 UTC
Mustafa al-Imam, a Libyan national approximately 48 years old, was found guilty of terrorism charges for his participation in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Special Mission and Annex in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. government personnel Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty died in the attack at the Mission and the nearby Annex in Benghazi. “We will never forget those we lost in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012 – Tyrone Woods, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Ambassador Christopher Stevens,” said Assistant Attorney General Demers. Attorneys John Cummings and Karen Seifert of the National Security Section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Earlier stages of the prosecution were handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael DiLorenzo and former Assistant U.S.
June 17, 2019 21:56 UTC
The emergency and crisis committee discussed in its Sunday meeting the measures to be taken to tackle the electricity outages in Libya, especially in Tripoli, in coordination with General Electricity Company. The committee discussed distribution of load shedding hours and finishing maintenance works in damaged power plants due to the fighting in Tripoli. GECOL said earlier that all power distribution units were damaged except for one due to the clashes in southern Tripoli, saying a total blackout was looming. Tripoli and the surrounding area have been suffering from long hours of power outages coupled with a wave of summer heat. GECOL said the outage is caused by shelling and clashes between Haftar's forces and Libyan Army forces under Presidential Council government's command.
June 17, 2019 20:15 UTC
The Libyan House of Representatives (HoR), convening in Tripoli, voted unanimously to remove Libyan Army General Commander position, which was created by the HoR in Tobruk in 2015. The spokesman for the HoR Hamouda Sayala said all of the members who attended Monday session agreed to scrap the position. The creation of the Army General Commander position in 2015 by Tobruk-based HoR was then described as a role designed to fit Khalifa Haftar and his military ambitions as the Libyan Army did not have such a post since its formation in 1951. Meanwhile, the HoR in Tripoli welcomed the peace initiative proposed by the Head of the Libyan Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj, announcing the formation of a contact committee in that regard. The HoR also said it will elect next week the presidency of the parliament with the majority vote system.
June 17, 2019 19:52 UTC
The Italian ambassador Giuseppe Buccino met with the Libyan Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha on Monday in Tripoli and reiterated rejection to the offensive against Tripoli by Khalifa Haftar, condemning targeting civilians and infrastructure and saying there can be no military solution in Libya. Bashagha and Buccino also discussed security cooperation including in the issue of illegal immigration. The Head of the Libyan Presidential Council, Fayez Al-Sarraj, proposed Sunday an initiative of seven points that aims to end the current crisis in the country. He said the initiative comes despite the fact that the Libyan Army forces and the Operation Volcano of Rage forces are defeating the attacking forces of Khalifa Haftar on the outskirts of Tripoli. The UN mission in Libya and the European Union have both welcomed the initiative and hailed it as a way to end the current military escalation and political stalemate in Libya.
June 17, 2019 19:07 UTC
Libya's national forces meeting in Cairo on Monday, June 17 - Press PhotoCAIRO - 17 June 2019: Former Libyan Interior Minister Saleh Ragab accused Turkey and Qatar of smuggling weapons to terrorist groups and militia in Libya to keep fighting against the Libyan National Army in Tripoli.In his speech during a Monday meeting with Libyan figures and politicians in Cairo, Ragab said that Libyans support LNA efforts to restore the country’s stability and security.Ragab also criticized The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) interference in the Libyan affairs, which led to the country’s deterioration in the past.The former official also noted that the United Nations failed to reach a political solution to the Libyan conflict over the past years.Cairo hosted on Monday a meeting attended by Libyan national figures, politicians and tribal leaders who discussed the latest efforts by the Libyan National Army (LNA) to fight terrorism, to restore stability in the country and preserve its unity.The meeting aims at asserting the role of Libya's national powers in preserving the state, putting an end to the control of terrorists and extremists of Tripoli, restoring the state's stability and maintaining its sovereignty.“We came to Cairo to stress that all Libyans are standing behind LNA efforts in Tripoli,” said Secretary-General of the Libyan National People’s Movement Mustafa al-Zaeidy, ensuring that all participants in the conference stand with LNA efforts to preserve the country’s stability. He explained that Libya is facing ‘conspiracy,’ adding that there were several attempts to dis-empower the army.He explained that civilians in Libya are suffering more than anyone as a result of the ongoing war.For his part, LNA’s Colonel Belaid el-Sheikhi stated that Muslim Brotherhood’s role is ‘gone forever’ in Libya, adding that parties and countries known for their support of terrorist movements will be hindered from playing any role in the country, namely: Qatar and Turkey.Egypt has been playing a key role to preserve Libya’s stability and security. Cairo hosted several meeting for unifying the Libyan army and to reach political solution.On April 4, LNA led by Commander Haftar launched an offensive against Tripoli claiming that they will "liberate the capital" from terrorist groups. The international community have been urging all parties in Libya to halt violence and go back to the negotiation table.
June 17, 2019 12:00 UTC
Libya's national forces meeting in Cairo on Monday, June 17 - Press PhotoLibya's national forces meeting in Cairo on Monday, June 17 - Press PhotoCAIRO - 17 June 2019: Cairo hosted on Monday a meeting attended by Libyan national figures, politicians and tribal leaders who discussed the latest efforts by the Libyan National Army (LNA) to fight terrorism, to restore stability in the country and preserve its unity.The meeting aims at asserting the role of Libya's national powers in preserving the state, putting an end to the control of terrorists and extremists of Tripoli, restoring the state's stability and maintaining its sovereignty.“We came to Cairo to stress that all Libyans are standing behind LNA efforts in Tripoli,” said Secretary-General of the Libyan National People’s Movement Mustafa al-Zaeidy, ensuring that all participants in the conference stand with LNA efforts to preserve the country’s stability. He explained that Libya is facing ‘conspiracy,’ adding that there were several attempts to dis-empower the army.He explained that civilians in Libya are suffering more than anyone as a result of the ongoing war.For his part, LNA’s Colonel Belaid el-Sheikhi stated that Muslim Brotherhood’s role is ‘gone forever’ in Libya, adding that parties and countries known for their support of terrorist movements will be hindered from playing any role in the country, namely: Qatar and Turkey.Idres al-Darsi, one of the tribal elders, said that Libyans refuse both of the United Nations envoy Ghassan Salame and Head of the Government of National Accord Fayez al-Sarraj Initiatives that seek to ‘reproduce terrorism’ in Libya again.He referred to the current battle, led by Commander Khalifa Haftar, in the capital, saying that it earned its legitimacy from the Libyan parliament and from the people supporting for the armed forces efforts.Egypt has been playing a key role to preserve Libya’s stability and security. Cairo hosted several meeting for unifying the Libyan army and to reach political solution.On Thursday, President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi received a phone call from his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron, as they discussed number of regional files especially the situation in Libya.President Sisi asserted Egypt's firm stance supportive of the unity, stability and security of Libya and activating the will of its people.The Egyptian president also reiterated Egypt's support to the Libyan national army in its fight against terrorism and eradication of armed militias and organizations which have become a rising threat to the regional security and the Mediterranean Sea region.On April 4, LNA led by Commander Haftar launched an offensive against Tripoli claiming that they will "liberate the capital" from terrorist groups. The international community have been urging all parties in Libya to halt violence and go back to the negotiation table.
June 17, 2019 11:37 UTC