MANILA, Philippines — Authorities have confirmed two people in China are being treated after they were diagnosed with pneumonic plague. Citing information from the government website of Chaoyang District, the two diagnosed individuals were from north China’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, state news media Xinhua News reported. ADVERTISEMENTThe diagnosis was confirmed by doctors in Beijing. The state media said the diagnosed individuals are being treated while measures are in place to control the disease.
November 13, 2019 10:21 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — Dennis Uy-led Udenna Corp. announced Wednesday it acquired Chevron Philippines Ltd.’s 45% stake in the $4.5 billion Malampaya deep water-gas-to-power project, continuing the expansion of the Davao-based businessman’s empire. Ltd. bought 100% of the shares of Chevron Malampaya LLC, which holds Chevron Philippines’ non-operated interest in Malampaya. Related Stories Chevron selling 45% stake in MalampayaThe deal was the culmination of 12 months of talks between the two companies, Udenna said. Commissioned in 2001, the Malampaya gas field offshore Palawan supplies all of the Philippines’ current natural gas. The STAR earlier this week reported that aside from Udenna, The MVP Group was also interested in Chevron Philippines’ Malampaya stake.
November 13, 2019 09:02 UTC
THE Philippine National Police (PNP) is ready to provide security to the judiciary following a series of killings of its members. Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta himself, in his first meeting with media, has asked Congress to pass a law that would allow judges to have marshals. READ: Peralta seeks ‘marshal’ protection for judgesBrig. Gen. Bernard Banac, PNP spokesman, said the “the PNP is ready to provide security to judges and members of the judiciary who need it, especially those who have validated threats against their lives.”Banac said as of now, no judge or lawyer has sought police protections, Banac added. DARWIN PESCO
November 13, 2019 08:56 UTC
PNP bats for selective martial law in Mindanao 0 SHARES Share it! The martial law rule in the entire Mindanao is set to lapse on December 31, 2019, and some government security officials want it lifted. But Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, PNP officer-in-charge, said that while he agrees that martial law is unnecessary in most areas in Mindanao, there are still places where it is needed. Gamboa said they are currently conducting assessment in Mindanao to identify the areas where there is no more need for Martial Law. Martial law was declared in Mindanao a few days after the Maute Group laid siege on Marawi City in May 2017.
November 13, 2019 08:50 UTC
Earthquake, tsunami drill on Thursday 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Ellalyn De Vera-RuizWeeks after Mindanao was struck by a series of powerful earthquakes, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) urged the public to actively participate in an earthquake and tsunami drill to be held on Thursday. The Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake and Tsunami Drill, which will start at 9 a.m., Thursday, is being conducted in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the 1994 Mindoro earthquake and tsunami. As the country is prone to strong earthquakes and tsunamis, Science and Technology Undersecretary and Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said the public should prepare and properly respond to these “sudden-onset events.”“We encourage the (coastal) communities and the public to join in the Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake and Tsunami Drill to test their preparedness and response plans,” Solidum said. This year marks the 25th anniversary of a 7.1-magnitude earthquake, which hit Mindoro on November 15, 1994.
November 13, 2019 08:38 UTC
MANILA, Philippines—The Senate on Wednesday approved the Department of National Defense’s budget (DND) for 2020 despite questions raised on the planned installations of a third telecommunications within military camps. Dito, formerly Mislatel, is a consortium of Davao businessman Dennis Uy’s Udenna Corporation and its subsidiary Chelsea Logistics Corporation, and Chinese state-owned China Telecommunications Corporation, a parent company of China Telecom. “While Huawei is not involved directly in this memorandum of agreement, China Telecom is somehow involved because it is the China Telecom that is in partnership with Dito,” Pangilinan said. “China Telecom, unlike Huawei is a state-owned company. We are concerned about precisely the involvement of China Telecom,” he added.
November 13, 2019 08:38 UTC
Search on for 13 missing fishermen 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Betheena Kae UniteThe Coast Guard has launched a search and rescue mission for 13 Bataan fishermen who went missing last week after their fishing vessel sank in the waters off Bajo De Masinloc in Zambales. Three multi-role response vessels — BRP Tubbataha, BRP Capones and BRP Boracay — from Manila and Subic had been deployed to locate the missing fishermen. We will also coordinate with China Coast Guard baka may nakuha sila. Balilo said they only knew about the incident and the missing fishermen when they were informed by the crew of “FFB Joseph” who found Epetito at sea.
November 13, 2019 08:27 UTC
At least 7 killed in Kabul car bomb blast: interior ministry 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Agence France-PresseAt least seven people were killed and seven wounded when a car bomb detonated during Kabul’s busy morning rush hour Wednesday, an interior ministry spokesman said. The spokesman, Nasrat Rahimi, said the bomb had gone off in a neighbourhood which is near the interior ministry and north of Kabul airport. A source at the interior ministry said the blast was detonated by a suicide bomber in the car, and that it had targeted a convoy of government vehicles on a main road. He also did not state when or where the Taliban prisoners would be freed.
November 13, 2019 07:38 UTC
SC provides security to former CJ Bersamin due to death threats 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Rey PanaliganThe Supreme Court (SC) has decided to provide security to former Chief Justice Lucas P. Bersamin who has been receiving death threats. He said the former Chief Justice was taking the matter in stride and “was his normal and confident self.”Bersamin, who retired last October 18, hails from Abra. Published reports stated that former Chief Justice Bersamin, then SC associate justice, executed an affidavit and identified former Abra governor Vicente Valera as the person with the strongest motive to kill his brother. Reyes said the marshal system can be patterned after that of the United States where the marshals provide security escorts to justices and judges.
November 13, 2019 07:18 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) is prepared to provide security for judges who are receiving death threats, PNP officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa said Wednesday. “So kung gusto nila magprovide ng PNP security on judges [If they want PNP to provide security on judges] then, we are obliged to protect them,” Gamboa told the media in Camp Crame when asked if PNP will aid former Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin who faced death threats shortly after the latter’s retirement. ADVERTISEMENTGamboa said it is a “nationwide directive” for the police service to give security for judges facing threats because of the recent murder of Judge Mario Anacleto Bañez, 54, in La Union. Provincial directors and police chiefs may have the authority to deploy security officers, Gamboa said. So, kahit provincial level or kahit chief of police level [Even at the provincial level or chief of police level], they have to authority to deploy security but on a specific period of time,” Gamboa said.
November 13, 2019 07:05 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has defied his doctor’s advice to rest, his trusted aide said Wednesday, after the Chief Executive complained of unbearable pain in his spine. Even if the doctor advised him to rest, he doesn’t want to rest,” Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go told reporters in Filipino in Malacañang. After consultation with his doctor, Panelo said the President only experienced a muscle spasm. But Duterte told reporters that “a muscle spasm by itself is not really a nothing,” and that “there has to be something” but said his doctor told him to keep quiet. ADVERTISEMENTDespite the doctor’s advice to rest, Go said Duterte, 74, is really “hardworking.”“Hardworking at workaholic.
November 13, 2019 07:02 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — The P500-million Kennon Road rehabilitation project, which Sen. Panfilo Lacson earlier questioned, was just a typographical error, House Deputy Speaker for Finance Luis Raymund Villafuerte Jr. clarified Wednesday. ADVERTISEMENT“Kasi meron syang pi-noint out na cut and paste na amount P15 million in Baguio. But sabi ko nga out of 3,500-document ‘yun lang ‘yung nahanap n’ya na typo, it shows that maganda ‘yung budget,” Villafuerte said in an interview with ABS-CBN’s “Headstart.”(He pointed out a cut-and-paste amount of P15 million in Baguio. READ: Not pork, but P20-B projects ‘parked’ in 2020 budget – LacsonBaguio Lone District Rep. Mark Go earlier disowned the Kennon road project. The House leader also expressed confidence that Congress could pass the proposed P4.1 trillion national budget for 2020 by December 15.
November 13, 2019 06:59 UTC
Hungarian firm donates P10-M water mobile compact unit 0 SHARES Share it! NDRRMC Executive Director Ricardo Jalad said the single water unit that will be donated by the Hungarian Water Technology Corporation (HWTC) can be used to provide potable water to the public during emergency situations and natural disasters. HWTC Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Adrian Kiss said the water unit can process 2.5 to 6.5 cubic per meter every hour. The water mobile compact unit will be delivered to the Philippines in mid-February 2020 and will be made operational by April 2020, in time for the typhoon season which usually comes in by June. The DRRMC will also send personnel to Hungary for a training on how to operate and maintain the water mobile compact unit.
November 13, 2019 06:49 UTC
OFWs in HK opt to stay despite violent demonstrations 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Allysa NieveraPhilippine Consul General Raly Tejada said on Wednesday that Filipino migrant workers in Hong Kong have no plans on leaving the country despite escalating protests. “They are definitely determined to stay in Hong Kong because they feel that this situation will blow over” Tejada said in an interview with ANC. Tejada assured that Filipino migrant workers are safe and are following advisories. “I’m glad to say that no one has been hurt or no one has been affected by these demonstrations here in Hong Kong.
November 13, 2019 06:48 UTC
No.1 drug pusher in Paranaque arrested 0 SHARES Share it! Share TweetBy Joseph Almer PedrajasMore than P300,000 worth of suspected shabu was seized from a high-value drug target after falling in the hands of the police in an anti-drug operation in Parañaque City Tuesday evening. He was the most wanted person on eight focus crimes and the most wanted person in illegal drugs by the city police. Aside from a medium plastic sachet of suspected shabu which was the subject of the operation, seized from him were 21 pieces of suspected shabu worth P374,000 which he put inside a black sling bag. Diocareza is now under police custody and will face charges for violation of Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, police said.
November 13, 2019 06:29 UTC