Ban on single-use plastics can succeed – Greenpeace PH 0 SHARES Share it! “Hindi pa naman natin pinagbabawal ang single-use plastics kasi ang plastic ang pinakamura. (We won’t ban single-use plastics yet because it’s the cheapest form of packing. Read more: QC implements ban on single-use plastics in hotels, restaurantsBenosa-Llorin also said there are already existing alternatives to single-use plastics. Read more: Senate panel: Regulate, don’t ban, single-use plastics
February 20, 2020 09:12 UTC
Business groups have welcomed the Lower House’s vote and so did economists that have long batted for the lifting of the charter’s foreign ownership restrictions. “Better if the administration lifts the foreign ownership restrictions in the Constitution,” he added. The bill, once enacted, would end persistent concerns over foreign ownership of certain companies in industries where foreign exposure is currently limited to 40%. READ: Philippines inches closer to rating upgrade after Fitch raises outlook to 'positive'Interestingly, Duterte’s recent economic reforms have failed to impress foreign investors alike. “Sanctity of contracts or not changing the rules in the middle of the game would help assure foreign investors,” he said.
February 20, 2020 08:17 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines has recommended doing away with marking foreheads with ash for Lent because of the risk posed by the deadly coronavirus disease COVID-19. This comes a week before millions of Catholics flock to churches in the country to observe Ash Wednesday, which marks the start of the Lenten season. Refrain from kissing, touching crossThe CBCP president also urged Catholics to refrain from kissing or touching the cross of veneration during the Celebration of the Passion of the Lord. Church officials in Hong Kong decided to suspend public Masses on Sundays and weekdays for two weeks and cancel the liturgy on Ash Wednesday. The country’s first coronavirus patient was discharged from the hospital weeks ago, while the third confirmed case returned to China.
February 20, 2020 07:30 UTC
The situation is that the reins of response must once again be tightened,” Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said Wednesday. Despite Seoul’s comparatively rapid and efficient response to the outbreak, the government faced criticism from medical professionals from the outset. The COVID-19’s spread appears slower than that of the MERS virus for the time being, yet the current situation involves a wider range of variables. So far, two confirmed cases here contracted the virus in Singapore, and another one each in Japan and Thailand. In contrast, MERS symptoms developed and intensified comparatively quickly, with a much higher fatality rate, coming to about 20 percent in Korea.
February 20, 2020 07:30 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — The local government of Las Piñas has required Philippine offshore gaming operators (Pogos) in the city to follow protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which originated in Wuhan city of Hubei province in China. Aside from Pogo firms, Castellano said the task force are also set to discuss protocols with owners of hotels and condominiums with Chinese tenants. No PUIs for COVID-19Based on health officials of Las Piñas government, Castellano said there are no persons being investigated for the deadly virus in Pogo firms, so far. ADVERTISEMENTHe also assured the public that hospitals in Las Piñas are equipped to treat patients under investigation for the novel coronavirus. In Las Piñas, the Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center is one of the regional hospitals of the Department of Health in Metro Manila.
February 20, 2020 07:07 UTC
MANILA, Philippines (Updated 6:10 p.m.) — President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the relief of all Immigration officials and employees allegedly involved in the money-making scheme to facilitate the entry of Chinese nationals into the Philippines. Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the chief executive has found probable cause to order the relief of the bureau officials and personnel involved in the so-called “pastillas” bribery scheme. Related Stories NAIA terminal heads lose posts amid investigation into Immigration bribery“The president considers this anomaly a grave form of corruption which cannot and will never be countenanced by this government,” Panelo said Thursday. The allegation of a new scheme involving payouts to Immigration officials and employees was bared during a Senate inquiry Monday. Hontiveros said the Senate committee on women, children, family relations and gender equality will summon those who supposedly “profited millions” from the scheme.
February 20, 2020 06:22 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has relieved all officials and employees of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) who are allegedly involved in the so-called “pastillas” scheme at the airport. Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo made the announcement on the relief of the immigration officials and personnel on Thursday during a Palace briefing. “The President considers this anomaly, which some define as the ‘pastillas scheme’, as a grave form of corruption that cannot be countenanced by the government,” Panelo said. ADVERTISEMENTThe scheme was called “pastillas” supposedly because the bribe money would be rolled in a bond paper like the wrapping of the Filipino milk candy. Edited by KGARELATED STORYWhistleblower tags BI’s ex-officials, current staff in ‘pastillas’ schemeRead NextEDITORS' PICKMOST READ
February 20, 2020 06:16 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — Former and incumbent senators on Thursday blamed what one called a “serious constitutional defect” that allowed the unilateral abrogation of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States. For Tatad, the absence of a specific provision in the Constitution on treaty withdrawal was a “serious constitutional lapse.”“The Constitution is silent on this. Whether this was a plain oversight or a deliberate act on the part of the framers of the Constitution, we have a serious constitutional lapse, which we must correct,” he said during the hearing. The best we can do now is to ask the Supreme Court to help cure this constitutional defect,” Tatad pointed out. Biazon echoed Drilon and Tatad’s position, noting that a provision on treaty withdrawal was indeed nowhere in the Constitution.
February 20, 2020 06:01 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — Swimmer Ernie Gawilan is the first Filipino through to the 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games. Congratulations Ernie Gawilan for being the first Filipino qualifier in the 2020 Paralympic Games in Tokyo, JapanWe are proud of you!#GalingngAtletangPilipino#parasainangbayan pic.twitter.com/mlIy7Ecs7J — Philippine Sports Commission (@psc_gov) February 20, 2020This development was revelead by Philippine Para Swimming coach Tony Ong on Radyo Pilipinas. Gawilan, who also qualified in the 2016 Rio Paralympics, will once again attempt to bring home a medal. However, the 28-year-old will need to compete in one more Paralympic Qualifier to reclassify his disability before formalizing his entry to the Tokyo. The Tokyo Paralympic Games will be held from August 25 to September 6 following the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
February 20, 2020 06:00 UTC
Friendly countries may help patch up shaky US-PH ties – Tatad 1 SHARES Share it! Tatad said the Philippines should seize the moment but the first step towards that direction is not easy. He suggested that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe can do the quiet job of bringing US President Trump and President Duterte together. The “mediating’’ job, according to Tatad, might be difficult because President Trump is facing a presidential re-election while President Duterte has his own internal problems to attend to. Tatad said the power of the President is granted, but it is not unlimited or absolute.
February 20, 2020 05:37 UTC
Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo (0992) reported that third-quarter net profit increasd by 11 percent to US$258 million (HK$2.01 billion), slightly beating analysts’ estimates, due to higher shipments. That compared with an average US$223 million estimate of seven analysts, according to Refinitiv data. Revenue for the quarter ended December last year increased to US$14.1 billion from uS$14 billion in the same quarter last year, compared with an average US$13.6 billion estimate of 10 analysts. Gross profit margin improved by 1.5 percentage points to 16.1 percent thanks to the continued sales mix shift of PC and smart device into high growth and premium segments. Gross profit margin was up by 2.3 percentage points to 16.2 percent.
February 20, 2020 05:37 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — Beleaguered Police Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido “must have some reasons” for fearing for his life after his inclusion in the government’s drug watchlist, but Malacañang assured him that President Rodrigo Duterte will not allow harm to come his way. He must have some reasons,” presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo told reporters in a text message. ADVERTISEMENT“(But Duterte) will not allow any harm to anyone outside of legal processes and methods sanctioned by law,” he added. In a Palace briefing, Panelo added that Espenido may seek government protection “just like any other citizen.”“If Col. Espenido would want to ask for any protective measure from the government, then he can so request,” he said. According to Panelo, Duterte believes that Espenido is “clean” of any drug links, and the allegations against him are “untrue” and nothing but “black propaganda.”ADVERTISEMENTRead NextEDITORS' PICKMOST READ
February 20, 2020 05:30 UTC
MANILA, Philippines — The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has recommended the sprinkling of ash on top of the head, instead of the usual imposition on foreheads on Ash Wednesday as a precaution against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). “In Baptism, we have been anointed on the crown of the head. The ashes to be imposed on the crown signify our repentance from sin, which has marred the grace of Baptism,” Valles explained. “Instead, the faithful are requested to genuflect or make a profound bow as they venerate the Cross,” Valles said. Catholics will observe Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent season, on February 26.
February 20, 2020 05:15 UTC
The Education Bureau announced one-off subsidies today ranging from HK$10,000 to HK$25,000 for each school, depending on the type and size of the school. About HK$42 million will be handed to some 2,200 public sector schools, Direct Subsidy Scheme schools, private primary and secondary schools and kindergartens. The funds will help schools replenish their epidemic prevention materials such as masks, and thermometers. Those with 66 or less, half-day students will receive HK$10,000 (one full-time student to be counted as two half-day students); 67 or more will receive HK$15,000. Each non-scheme-kindergarten will get HK$12,500ii) Primary and secondary schools in the public sector (including special schools) and schools under the Direct Subsidy Scheme - the amount is based on the number of approved classes.
February 20, 2020 05:15 UTC
The Federation of Trade Unions says its plant began producing face masks three weeks ago. The Federation of Trade Unions (FTU) said today that a new factory it has set up in Tai Po has produced its first batch of face masks, RTHK reports. The pro-government group said these masks will be delivered to the elderly and other vulnerable people in society. Face masks have become a much sought after item in Hong Kong after the coronavirus outbreak started on the mainland. Political parties, charitable organisations and even some private entrepreneurs have stepped in to help by organizing the free distribution of face masks.
February 20, 2020 05:15 UTC