CAIRO: Libya's National Oil Corp (NOC) said the North African state's current levels of oil production are at 79,655 barrels per day (bpd) as of March 29, a statement on the state-owned company's website said on Monday.A blockade of ports and oilfields by groups loyal to eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar caused production to plunge from around 1.2 million bpd. Losses exceeded $3.8 billion since Jan. 17, NOC added.
March 31, 2020 06:22 UTC
Source: Xinhua| 2020-03-31 02:29:06|Editor: huaxiaVideo Player CloseTRIPOLI, March 30 (Xinhua) -- The state-owned National Oil Corporation (NOC) of the UN-backed Libyan government on Monday said that two of its workers have been released after they had been kidnapped for over a year and a half in southern Libya. "Today, the board of National Oil Corporation welcomes the release of Ashraf Msallam and Valentin-Laurentiu Puscasu, who have been held captive for one year and seven months," the NOC said in a statement. "We call on the relevant law enforcement agencies to urgently investigate the case further and name and prosecute those responsible for this crime," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla said. Four engineers, three Libyans and a Romanian were kidnapped by gunmen in 2018 while working in an oil field in southern Libya. Libya has been suffering escalating violence and political instability ever since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
March 30, 2020 18:33 UTC
You are here:视频播放位置 下载安装Flash播放器TRIPOLI, March 30 (Xinhua) -- The state-owned National Oil Corporation (NOC) of the UN-backed Libyan government on Monday said that two of its workers have been released after they had been kidnapped for over a year and a half in southern Libya. "Today, the board of National Oil Corporation welcomes the release of Ashraf Msallam and Valentin-Laurentiu Puscasu, who have been held captive for one year and seven months," the NOC said in a statement. "We call on the relevant law enforcement agencies to urgently investigate the case further and name and prosecute those responsible for this crime," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla said. Four engineers, three Libyans and a Romanian were kidnapped by gunmen in 2018 while working in an oil field in southern Libya. Libya has been suffering escalating violence and political instability ever since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
March 30, 2020 18:33 UTC
CAIRO: Egypt has announced the first death of a doctor due to coronavirus in the country. Spokesman for the Egyptian Health Ministry Khaled Megahed confirmed the death of Dr Ahmed Al-Lawah, a professor of clinical pathology at Al-Azhar University, from Port Said Governorate, who tested positive for Covid-19. Megahed said that as soon as it was reported that Lawah’s status was critical and positive for coronavirus, he was transferred to El Tadamon Specialized Hospital in Port Said. The reception room in the emergency department was equipped with a respirator and ready to receive the physicist, the spokesman said. Lawah showed signs of improvement last night, however, he suddenly deteriorated and passed away today, the statement said.
March 30, 2020 16:30 UTC
FILE PHOTO: An areal view shows a resort island in the Maldives December 14, 2009. REUTERS/Reinhard Krause/File PhotoAfter flying back stranded Egyptians in London, minister coordinates return of 37 from Tunisia CAIRO - 29 March 2020: Minister of Civil Aviation Mohamed ManarEnaba communicated with Tunisair to return 37 stranded Egyptians, who had sought the Ministry of Immigration and Expatriate Affairs for help. A number of those were on business trips while others are working for UNICEF and UN organizations working in Libya so they had to head to Tunisia to get back. Yet, domestic and cargo flights continue operation.Tourists who had arrived before that date were allowed to continue their programs and leave on previously scheduled dates. In parallel, all tourism establishments would be sterilized during the aviation suspension.
March 30, 2020 16:18 UTC
The Supreme Judicial Council gave orders to suspend work at courts, procuratorates and other judicial bodies starting from today until the end of April. According to the decision, the presidents of the courts is to prepare alternate schedules by assigning a number of judges and employees to attend on a daily basis at the court premises, to look into urgent cases. The council requested the competent authorities to exclude judges, prosecutors and judiciary employees who have to go work, from the curfew order, to enable them to carry out the tasks assigned to them.
March 30, 2020 12:45 UTC
TRIPOLI: Libya’s justice ministry announced Sunday over 450 prisoners were being freed in a bid to protect against the spread of coronavirus in the wake of the war-torn country’s first declared infections. Judicial officials decided to “free 466 detainees from correctional facilities” in Tripoli, according to a statement by the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord’s justice ministry. Authorities announced five new coronavirus cases in the western city of Misrata on Sunday, bringing the tally of infections confirmed in Libya to eight. Libyan authorities “need to be prepared to limit the spread of the virus in overcrowded detention facilities and shelters for displaced people”, HRW said in a statement. “If the Covid-19 pandemic spreads in Libya, the country’s healthcare system won’t be able to cope with large numbers of patients,” said HRW Libya researcher Hanan Salah.
March 29, 2020 23:26 UTC
By | Published: 2:47 pmCairo: Iran announced 2,901 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday as the total number of confirmed cases soared to 38,309; Meanwhile, the total number of infections in Turkey approached 10,000. The United Arab Emirates announced 102 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 570, the UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention said. Tunisia reported 34 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 312. Kuwait reported 20 new COVID-19 cases, as the total number of confirmed cases in the country climbed to 255, of whom 67 have recovered. Oman reported 15 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 167, of whom 23 have recovered.
March 29, 2020 21:45 UTC
Libya’s internationally recognized government extends curfew, introduces further restrictive measuresBy Sami Zaptia. London, 29 March 2020:Libya’s internationally recognized government today extended the curfew for the western region as well as introducing further restrictive measures to fight the country’s outbreak of Coronavirus (Covid-19). The initial curfew had gone into effect on 22 March. Libya’s eastern region implements its own measures and curfew. The measures come as Libya announced five more new Coronavirus cases today, bringing the total to eight.
March 29, 2020 18:33 UTC
Libya announces 5 more new cases of Coronavirus, taking country’s total to eightBy Sami Zaptia. London, 29 March 2020:Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced today the confirmation of five new cases of Coronavirus (Covid-19). This brings the country’s total confirmed cases to eight. Meanwhile, Libya’s Tripoli based and internationally recognized government extended the existing curfew to start from 2 pm to 7 am the next day. The announcement of further new Coronavirus cases in Libya and extended curfew comes as fighting continued between forces defending Tripoli and parts of the western region that are still under the control of the internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli, and the Khalifa Hafter Libyan National Army (LNA).
March 29, 2020 18:26 UTC
The Libyan National Center for Disease Control has announced five new positive Coronavirus cases in the country, bringing the total number to eight. The center said Sunday the Reference Laboratory in Tripoli had received 12 samples for people who were in contact with the woman who contracted COVID-19 in Misrata, adding that five of them tested positive and seven tested negative. Only on Saturday was the number of Coronavirus cases moving upward with two new cases; a woman from Misrata and a man from Tripoli. Meanwhile, 24 municipalities in western Libya called on Sunday in a joint statement on the Presidential Council to sack the Minister of Health Ahmid Bin Omar and his deputy Mohammed Haythem, citing their negligence and lack of action toward the outbreak of Coronavirus in Libya. The municipalities gave the Presidential Council 48 hours to respond positively to their demands, sack the Minister and his deputy and to distribute the budgets for the municipal councils or they would halt all kinds of cooperation with it.
March 29, 2020 18:11 UTC
The Libyan Presidential Council has ordered an extension of curfew hours across Libya in order to try and contain what seems to be a growing number of Coronavirus cases in the war-ravaged country. The curfew hours will be from 14.00 to 07.00 every day starting Monday, March 30, according to a statement by the Presidential Council, which also decreased the working hours to only three (from 09.00 to 12.00)The Presidential Council also prohibited travel among cities, except for health reasons and for government and public services of urgent matter. The Presidential Council announced on March 21 a curfew from 18.00 to 06.00 in order to avoid a Coronavirus outbreak in the country, however from last Tuesday until today, Sunday March 29, the country's National Center for Disease Control has recorded 8 positive Coronavirus cases. Meanwhile, the high committee tackling Coronavirus issues in Libya sent the Presidential Council a number of recommendations to have more strict preventive measures to avoid a larger outbreak of the pandemic in the country, including the extension of curfew hours, decrease of working hours, and a ban on cross-country travel, which have all been approved.
March 29, 2020 17:37 UTC
Syria meanwhile reported the first fatality from the virus in the war-torn country, which has five confirmed infections. Syria has closed schools, restaurants and nightclubs, and imposed a nighttime curfew last week aimed at preventing the virus' spread. But the virus can cause severe illness and death, especially in elderly patients or those with underlying health problems. Elsewhere in the region, Qatar reported its first death from the new coronavirus late Saturday, saying the total number of reported cases there was at least 590. The tiny, energy-rich nation said it flew 31 Bahrainis stranded in Iran into Doha on a state-run Qatar Airways flight.
March 29, 2020 15:33 UTC
Libya’s health care system, along with other public services, has been battered by intermittent armed conflicts and political divisions since 2011. “If the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in Libya, the country’s health care system won’t be able to cope with large numbers of patients,” said Hanan Salah, senior Libya researcher at Human Rights Watch. Detainees most at risk such as older people, people with disabilities that put them at greater risk of infection, and people with pre-existing conditions should also be given alternatives to detention, Human Rights Watch said. Authorities should ensure that individuals released or put on supervised leave have access to appropriate accommodations and health care. The detainees must contend with often nightmarish conditions, including insufficient food, water, sanitation material, and health care.
March 29, 2020 14:37 UTC
EgyptAir jet - Official websiteCAIRO - 29 March 2020: Minister of Civil Aviation Mohamed Manar Enaba communicated with Tunisair to return 37 stranded Egyptians, who had sought the Ministry of Immigration and Expatriate Affairs for help.A number of those were on business trips while others are working for UNICEF and UN organizations working in Libya so they had to head to Tunisia to get back.Minister of Immigration and Expatriate Affairs Nabila Makram praised the coordination between both ministries highlighting Enaba’s initiative to fly back dozens of Egyptians from London on March 17 on EgyptAir flight no. 779.Enaba stated he would contribute in returning stranded Egyptians to assert that all EgyptAir pilots and crews must always be at the service of citizens under any circumstances.Stranded Egyptians can fill out the following form to receive help:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfKRxP4OoLfJlbB7xbYX-I2fxFalP4HSgQULhjBtAOiBH-w8Q/viewformThey can also email or Whatsapp the ministry: Egyexpcare2020@gmail.com - 01069613755/01062437210And, they can always head to Egypt’s embassies and consulates in the countries they are visiting.Egypt suspended international flights on March 19 for 15 days but the duration was extended to another 15 days as a protective measure against coronavirus outbreak. Yet, domestic and cargo flights continue operation.Tourists who had arrived before that date were allowed to continue their programs and leave on previously scheduled dates. On Monday 23, all museums and archaeological sites were shut down so travel agencies had to reschedule their programs accordingly.Red Sea hotels and resorts were instructed to quarantine workers for 14 days starting the check-out date of the last tourist. In parallel, all tourism establishments would be sterilized during the aviation suspension.Between March 19-26, EgyptAir operated 33 flights to return stranded Egyptians from different countries.
March 29, 2020 13:52 UTC