Supreme Court debates Trump’s ability to keep financial information and taxes secretBy Ariane de Vogue, CNN Supreme Court ReporterCNN’s Kate Bouldan speaks to legal analysts about the Supreme Court’s consideration of how far Presidential immunity extends into the case of Trump’s financial records. Trump’s attorneys argued that that the House subpoenas were “unprecedented in every sense” and they asked for “temporary presidential immunity” against a subpoena from a New York prosecutor for Trump’s tax records. ’10-ton weight’The liberal justices, meanwhile, pounced on lawyers for Trump, suggesting that the court has long upheld Congress’ power to investigate. The court said that the interests of Congress to pursue the investigations “overbalance” Trump’s privacy interests. “We conclude only that presidential immunity does not bar the enforcement of a state grand jury subpoena” directed at Trump’s accounting firm.
May 12, 2020 20:03 UTC
“It is not a deal to be done with Malta,” Borrell said in reply to a question on the alleged understanding reached with the government. “The Irini operation was conceived to stop the fighting in Libya and political stabilisation is a precondition to stop the migrant wave. Malta provided the sole boarding team for the naval mission until it announced its withdrawal last week. Borrell insisted that Operation Irini was “almost operating” with French naval and Luxembourgish aerial assets already out, but that spending had been vetoed by Malta. And this has angered Greece, which is logistically running Operation Irini, because it cuts into its Exclusive Economic Zone around Crete.
May 12, 2020 19:52 UTC
Ankara warns to target Haftar's forces if attacked in LibyaANKARA-Anadolu AgencyAny attack on Turkish missions in Libya by Khalifa Haftar’s forces can expect a military response, the country’s ruling party spokesman warned the renegade warlord on May 12. “We are clearly saying that, if our mission in Libya is attacked in any way, we will view Haftar’s forces as legitimate targets,” Ömer Çelik, spokesman for the Justice and Development Party (AKP), told reporters amid a party board meeting by video link. Libya's government has been under attack by Haftar's forces since April 2019, with more than 1,000 killed in the violence. He went on to say that relations between Turkey and Italy have always rested on a base of solidarity. Turkey has worked to protect the local civilian population as well as rid the wider region of terrorist elements.
May 12, 2020 17:03 UTC
The Head of the High Council of State Khalid Al-Mishri said Khalifa Haftar has no place in the political process or in the future of Libya. Al-Mishri discussed in a telephone conversation with the German ambassador Oliver Owcza the political developments in Libya and the need to resume the political dialogue, according to High Council of State's media office. They also talked about Coronavirus pandemic and the need to provide municipalities and Local Governing Ministry more space to work on ending the outbreak of COVID-19. Al-Mishri hailed Germany's unbiased role and efforts in resolving Libya's crisis. Days ago, the High Council of State called on the local parties which oppose Haftar's coup to stop talking about political dialogue until the aggression on Tripoli ended, urging for more coordination with allies to implement international agreements to end the coup.
May 12, 2020 16:18 UTC
We show you our most important and recent visitors news details UAE, Egypt, Cyprus, Greece and France denounce Turkey’s ‘interference in Libya’, drilling off Cyprus in the following articleHind Al Soulia - Riyadh - Statement seen reflecting growing international wariness about Ankara’s aggressive policies. Turkish drilling vessel Yavuz escorted by a Turkish Navy frigate in the eastern Mediterranean Sea off Cyprus, last August. (Reuters)LONDON--The foreign ministers of the UAE, Egypt, Cyprus, Greece and France “strongly condemned Turkey’s military interference in Libya” and its attempts to “illegally conduct drilling operations”off Cyprus. Turkey's Bayraktar TB2 drone at Gecitkale Airport in Famagusta in the self-proclaimed Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. “The Turkish regime has dispatched about 17,000 terrorists from Syria to Libya in recent days,” he said.
May 12, 2020 15:11 UTC
Libya’s internationally recognized government rejects blatant interference in its internal affairs by France, Greece, Egypt, UAE and Cyprus joint statementBy Sami Zaptia. London, 12 May 2020:Libya’s internationally recognized government based in Tripoli, through a statement by its Ministry of Foreign Affairs, today rejected the joint statement by France, Greece, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Cyprus on the Libyan-Turkish Maritime Memorandum of Understanding. It called the joint statement ‘‘blatant interference in Libya’s internal affairs and an unacceptable falsification of facts’’. It insisted that the internationally recognized Libyan government ‘‘has a full and legitimate right to defend the interests of the Libyan state and the economic interests of the Libyan people as an internationally recognized government’’. It added that the ‘‘UAE’s participation in this statement may be in solidarity with another country like it, attacking the Libyan people, both of which are interfering in Libya’s internal affairs’’.
May 12, 2020 14:03 UTC
Thank you for your reading and interest in the news Malta urged to investigate return of migrants to Libya and now with detailsHind Al Soulia - Riyadh - The EU's human rights commission has urged Malta to respond to those in distress at sea, as pressure mounts over allegations Valletta has illegally returned migrants to Libya. Ms Mijatović said countries like Malta were obliged to save lives at sea despite the coronavirus pandemic. The prime minister said Malta needed “concrete support and action” to help it cope with the flow of migrants escaping conflict in Libya. The tiny Mediterranean island was last month accused of using a private fishing vessel to secretly send migrants back to Libya. During the first three months of this year, departures from Libya increased four-fold compared to the same period in 2019.
May 12, 2020 12:56 UTC
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of National Accord (GNA), has expressed its astonishment at the joint statement of the Foreign Ministers of Egypt, Cyprus, Greece, France in collaboration and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Ministry said the statement that these five countries included falsehoods and open abuse, aimed against the sovereignty of the Libyan state, stressing in a statement on Monday, that it was specifically aimed against the memorandums signed between Libya and Turkey. The Ministry explained that the Libyan-Turkish deal was signed according to international conventions and does not impinge on the rights of any third party, adding that Libya announced, at the time of signing, its willingness to negotiate or clarify the aims of the agreement. It also took into full consideration, any claim of suffering as a result, whilst retaining the right of resorting to these measures, just as Malta and Tunisia have done in similar cases. It concluded that the GNA remains the internationally recognized government of Libya, which exercises its legal right to defend its citizens and protect its country and economic rights.
May 12, 2020 12:22 UTC
Egypt’s minster of Foreign Affairs Sameh Shoukry during a teleconference meeting with his Greek, Cypriot, French and Emirati counterparts, 11 May 2020 - Press photoTRIPOLI, May 12 (MENA) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Libyan Government has welcomed a joint declaration released by Egypt, UAE, Greece, Cyprus and France condemning Turkish violations in the eastern Mediterranean and Libya.The foreign ministers of the five countries said that Turkey's violations contradict all international norms and laws stipulating the respect of good-neighborliness, sovereignty of countries and banning interference in other countries' internal affairs.In a statement on Tuesday, the ministry reiterated its full rejection of the two memorandums of understanding which were signed in November between Ankara and Chairman of the Presidential Council of Libya's Government of National Accord Fayez al Sarraj which it said undermines the peace process in Libya by sending mercenary fighters to the country and supporting militias by all kinds of weapons and drones.The ministry asserted its full support to the Libyan Armed Forces in their war against the Turkish invasion and the terrorist groups controlling Tripoli.The General Command of the Libyan Armed Forces announced a cease-fire during the holy fasting month of Ramadan but the militias have not respected the truce and launched a failed attack on Al-Watiya airbase and the city of Tarhuna, the ministry pointed out.The ministry called on the international community and the UN to condemn and reject the Turkish military invasion of Libya and to withdraw their recognition of the Government of National Accord which is unconstitutional.
May 12, 2020 12:22 UTC
Migration crisis, or hostage situation? Malta has been practically begging the EU for a ‘relocation agreement’ for well over 15 years now... to no avail. Admittedly, it was the EU’s very intransigence that precipitated such drastic action from Malta in the first place...
May 12, 2020 03:56 UTC
Libya’s Interim Government recognized the Armenian Genocide on April 24, 2020, for the second year in a row. Egypt, Saudi Arabia and UAE have asked their citizens to boycott Turkish products and travel to Turkey. These various regional and internal feuds have prompted the recognition of the Armenian Genocide by the Libyan Interim Government’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on April 24, 2020. “The final death toll of the genocide is reported to be 1.5 million.”It should not be surprising that the Libyan Interim Government has issued a statement on the Armenian Genocide because it serves its anti-Turkish political agenda. This is the second year in a row that its Interim Government has recognized the Armenian Genocide.
May 11, 2020 22:30 UTC
In an address to the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, the Tripoli-based House of Representatives (HoR) stated that any call for dialogue, prior to the end of military operations would not be forthcoming. In a statement, the HoR added that it would not accept any dialogue in which Haftar is a participant in the next stage, or the political future in general, calling on Guterres to implement his authority and perform his duty as dictated by law. It called on him to seek justice by issuing a firm decision against the perpetrators of the obvious war crimes committed against innocent civilians and punish them accordingly; also to exclude the aggressors from any decision which affects the fate and future of Libya. The statement required that supporters of Haftar, be held accountable and punished, excluding them from any possibility of taking part in dialogue at any stage in the future. It went on to say that it had witnessed nothing but an insubstantial public display of disapproval, based on unspecified acts, noting that despair had now marred the prospect of an international resolution to condemn, name and punish Haftar, and protect civilians.
May 11, 2020 12:00 UTC
Advertisement:Two Libyan Airlines’ Airbus aircraft, one A330 and one A320, were damaged when a mortar attack took out the fuel depot at Tripoli’s Mitiga Airport on Saturday. The rocket took out the aviation fuel depot and severely damaged two of Libyan Airlines’ Airbus aircraft. Part of a larger retaliation strike on TripoliThe Libyan capital’s airport has repeatedly been targeted by Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA). Libyan Arab Airlines Airbus A320 (5A-LAQ) and A330-200 (5A-LAU) were seriously damaged by a mortar attack of the Libyan National Army at Tripolis-Mitiga Airport(HLLT). Have you ever flown to Tripoli or with Libyan Airlines?
May 11, 2020 11:39 UTC
Noor Alhayat charitable organization, in cooperation with UNICEF Libya Office, has provided entertainment kits for displaced children who fled their homes due to the offensive on Tripoli. The work is part of the "Safety" campaign launched to elevate the difficult conditions the displaced children are experiencing amid the strife and the outbreak of the Covid-19 in the country, says the charitable organization. According to the IOM, more than 200,000 people have suffered internal displacement, including Libyan families and migrants since Haftar's aggression in April 2019. Displaced children staying at the Ittihad Club in Tripoli received packages containing books, toys, drawing kit, handicraft, and clay, as well as stickers and leaflets on how to keep safe and healthy during the Covid-19 outbreakThe campaign aims to relieve anxiety and grief among those children and help keep them safe, calm, and well entertained during the current emergency situation they are going through, according to the organization.
May 11, 2020 11:03 UTC
Malta is not in a position to ensure a safe place for rescued migrants, Robert Abela has told the Council of Europe’s Human Rights Commissioner. The Prime Minister was replying to a letter of concern penned by Dunja Mijatovic in which she urged the government to ensure Malta fully meets its obligations when notified of a distress situation. Abela insisted Malta “has always, and shall continue, to respond effectively and urgently to any situation of distress at sea of which it becomes aware”. “Malta is simply not in a de facto position, at present, to ensure a safe place on Maltese territory to any persons rescued at sea,” Abela said. Malta believes in a comprehensive approach towards providing concrete solutions to the complexity and challenges of migration at sea,” Abela said.
May 11, 2020 09:22 UTC