The plan still has to be formalised in legislation and voted on in parliament. But the interior ministry said on Monday that demolition had been recommended by a government-appointed commission. The interior minister, Wolfgang Sobotka, said that “a thorough architectural remodelling is necessary to permanently prevent the recognition and the symbolism of the building”. The statement said the commission had recommended against leaving the site empty, which could be interpreted as an attempted “denial of Austrian history”. The statement said the interior ministry planned to finalise a draft law making the house state property before putting it to a vote in parliament by the end of the year.
Source: The Guardian October 17, 2016 20:43 UTC