TransCanada cancelled the Energy East project last week citing “changed circumstances.”In response to a barrage of questions lobbed at him in the Senate on Tuesday, Carr repeatedly asserted those circumstances were not government policies. While the National Energy Board panel decided to look at both upstream and downstream emissions, Carr said the government had only asked that upstream ones be looked at. If upstream emissions didn’t stop approval of the other pipelines, Carr said TransCanada had no reason to believe it would stop approval of Energy East. But a new research report by the Montreal Economic Institute suggests Energy East’s demise is a growing and worrisome pattern. However, he added Energy East could have been a political liability for the Liberals in Quebec, where opposition to it was strong.
Source: National Post October 18, 2017 17:37 UTC