Brussels prosecutors say ousted Catalan president Carles Puigdemont and four ex-ministers have been taken into custody to start the process of their possible extradition to Spain. Eight ministers who stayed behind in the northeastern region of Spain were jailed Nov. 2 for helping to push through the declaration. Puigdemont wrote in Dutch in his Twitter account on Saturday that he is "prepared to fully co-operate" with Belgian justice following the European arrest warrant issued by Spain. However, Puigdemont's lawyer in Brussels had previously said that his client plans to fight extradition to Spain without requesting political asylum. A spokesman for the Brussels prosecutor's office, Gilles Dejemeppe, on Sunday said Puigdemont and his ousted ministers have not been arrested and that they will be heard by an investigative judge Sunday afternoon.
Source: CBC News November 05, 2017 13:16 UTC