Court drops bomb by ruling against constitutionality of military justice system - News Summed Up

Court drops bomb by ruling against constitutionality of military justice system


Canada's military justice system is in danger of being blown up following a bombshell court ruling that found the current process of trying service members for serious crimes — including sexual assault and murder — violates their charter rights. The military's top prosecutor, Col. Bruce MacGregor, has asked the Supreme Court to suspend the Beaudry decision until the top court can hear an appeal. But even as military prosecutors work to save the system, some of the country's foremost experts on military law are celebrating the ruling — and they hope the Supreme Court will adopt the same view. "It is really unfair," said Letourneau, who previously served on the Federal Court and the Court Martial Appeals Court. Drapeau, who is now a lawyer specializing in military cases, said the ruling confirms the concerns that he and Letourneau have raised about the constitutionality of the court-martial system — and underscores the need for reform.


Source: CBC News September 28, 2018 21:15 UTC



Loading...
Loading...
  

Loading...

                           
/* -------------------------- overlay advertisemnt -------------------------- */