MANILA, Philippines —Despite extremist groups’ failed attempt to establish a stronghold in Marawi last year, the remnants of local terrorist groups are still eyeing to establish a “wilayat” or a caliphate in Mindanao. Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said this on Wednesday during the joint session of the Senate and Congress on the possible extension of martial law in Mindanao. ADVERTISEMENT“The remnants of the local terrorists groups composed of the Abu Sayyaf Group and Dawlah Islamiyah have continued with their political thrust in establishing a wilayat,” Medialdea said. “We cannot turn a blind eye that Mindanao is still in the midst of rebellion,” Medialdea said. This, according to Medialdea, “necessitates the grant of a further extension of Martial law and the suspension of the privilege on writ of habeas corpus.” /jpvRELATED STORYDuterte formally asks Senate, House to extend martial law in MindanaoADVERTISEMENTRead Next
Source: Philippine Daily Inquirer December 12, 2018 04:30 UTC