In war-torn South Sudan, 1.25 million people are facing starvation, double the number from the same time last year, according to a report by the United Nations and the government released Monday. Humanitarians blame the worsening situation on South Sudan's continuing conflict, which is nearing its fifth year and has killed more than 50,000 people. As South Sudan enters the dry season, locals and aid workers are expecting the situation to get worse. The current food crisis is a result of the country's "man-made conflict," said UN representative in South Sudan David Shearer. "South Sudan had ideal rainfall in most places this year," said Shearer.
Source: CBC News November 06, 2017 12:00 UTC