BEIRUT — U.S.-backed Syrian fighters resumed their ground offensive Sunday against the Islamic State group in the last territories controlled by the extremists in eastern Syria. The Syrian Democratic Forces said in a statement that the decision to resume the fighting came after threats from Turkey against the Kurdish-led force dropped due to diplomatic activities. Turkey considers the SDF a terror threat and an extension of Kurdish rebels waging an insurgency within Turkey. Since SDF suspended operations, IS has launched several offensives that have left scores of U.S.-backed fighters dead or wounded. The SDF said its fighters captured a senior IS commander in the northern city of Raqqa which until last year was the de facto capital of the extremists.
Source: National Post November 11, 2018 15:56 UTC